Sunday, January 26, 2014

Ipsy Glam Bag: January Review

For about a year now I have been following quite a few makeup gurus on YouTube and Instagram and one of them posted about the Ipsy Glam Bag.  I looked into it and thought it was a great way to see what other brands are out there in the Health and Beauty market.  I have a monthly subscription ($10) and I receive a new Glam Bag every month.  I received my January bag right after I began this blog so I wanted to begin my first review by reviewing the products sent in the glam bag. So without further adieu here is the review. 


January's bag is a simple canvas bag and
of course with my massive makeup supply I don't necessarily need the bags they send me each month but they are good to use as gift bags later for birthdays or holidays.  The bags are typically this size but range from cute and stylish to something more like this one.  I tend to keep the cute stylish ones and use them for travel to hold jewelry or to separate makeup into color coordinating pouches :)

The first product I tried was the Elizabeth Mott Smooth Shadow Liner in Pearl.  The liner is a nice consistency and does go on smooth which is important if using it on your lower lash line.  You want to be careful using harsh pencils or brushes to apply shadow or liner on your lower lash line because the under eye skin is very sensitive and easily damaged and injured.  I will definitely keep using this pencil but I will probably use it mostly for highlighting the inner tear duct for that added shine dimension when doing a more dramatic eye look. 

The second product is the Apothederm skin care science bright skin serum.  This product is used before applying face cream and foundation.  The label does warn to not get into eyes so when I initially wanted to try it I used a little on the inside of my wrist to make sure my sensitive skin wouldn't be affected by it.  So far it hasn't seemed to affect my sensitive skin and it also hasn't really made my skin brighter.  I can only find the brand online which is fine with me but I would not go and buy a refill because I am very cautious about what I put on my face because of my past skin issues.  The website does identify that Apothederm products are paraben and phthalate free and they also state that their products do not contain pore-clogging or formaldehyde ingredient (information found on Apothederm.com).

The next product is by far my favorite product and that is the MICA Beauty Cosmetics tinted lip color pot in #5 natural.  The lip balm is creamy and has a great pigment pay off for a lip balm.  It is what I have been wearing for work for the last two weeks.  It provides a very natural color but it adds a tint that is obvious but not too obvious.  I highly recommend this lip balm and will be purchasing more colors.  You can find the product here: http://www.micacosmetics.com/lip-color-pot.html




The next product in the bag was a 1.7 oz bottle of Healthy Sexy Hair soy try-wheat leave in conditioner.  If you know me it is apparent that when my hair is natural and not straightened my curls have a mind of their own.  I am constantly trying to find products that allow me to control the craziness.  I have yet to find a product that provides frizz control without using some sort of alcohol based product.   To give you a little background on why I have to be cautious about my skin and why I try to use alcohol free products it all started when I was 19.  I went through a very rough couple of years of bad psoriasis of my skin.  I had red patches all over my neck, face, arms, hands, chest and breast area.  I had it so bad that I would have to call into work when my patches decided to ooze and puss.  It caused me to have bald patches on my scalp and it greatly affected my self confidence in a way but that is for a different blog post :) Long story short I try my best to use products that don't contain alcohol or any product that contains dandruff control as that is where all my problems began.  So I tried this product with caution.  It smells clean and fruity and does not smell like a hairspray although it does have a slight sticky residue that is common with some leave in conditioners.  I am still on the fence with this product but I am still giving it a shot.  I still used a little amount of moose when I used it last so I am not completely convinced that it will provide a frizz control (note: it does not say frizz control on the product) but it may be something I use from time to time when my hair seems to be more dry.  



The last and final product I have to go over is the Absolute! make-up cleansing tissues.  These tissue are so delicious smelling! The package provided was the pomegranate extract tissues and they just smelled so good I spent a minute just smelling the open package.  Again, with my sensitive skin I only used them to remove eye makeup on days that I used heavy eyeliner and shadow.  They work just as good as my Target brand facial wipes but I must say the smell is a nice addition.  I found this product on soap.com for sale if interested in trying yourself. :) 


Well that concludes my review for the January Ipsy glam bag.  I hope I provided you with a little information on the products provided and I do recommend signing up for this services if your interested in trying products from different brands.  I do wish to receive some of the more known and higher brands in upcoming bags (e.g., Benefit) but if I don't I won't cancel my subscription.  I am loving trying new things and it is only $10 a month and worth the amount of products they send. 

Signing off for now and until next time fashionistas!

Sara the Fashionista in Training

Follow me: Instagram - Sarita84_2013

No comments:

Post a Comment